Friday, January 1, 2010

Animals

A few animal photos I took today. The amount of light coming in through the windows was minimum since it was overcast outside but I tried to deal with it. My camera hates artificial light, especially the kind with a tinge of orange or yellow to it.

Animals are some of my favorite things to photograph. I haven't taken any photography classes (yet) so I don't know much about lighting a subject. Human portraiture is really tricky if you don't know how to light it correctly. I've found I can take ok pictures of animals though. They're easier to light, as long as I have some natural light most of the photos will turn out ok.

First are some pictures of my cat. Like most cats she loves to nap, especially on the couch. She doesn't like to be disturbed. I've had her since she was 2 weeks old (she was so cute), if only I was as photo happy and had had my nicer camera back then.


Similar photo but she had her eyes open (she can look so annoyed when she wants to, of course I was disturbing her cat nap).

I liked the way the white throw is fuzzy at the bottom of the picture, gives a little bit of framing.


Next, the dog. The lighting wasn't that good, too much orange.


He's pretty old (for a lab) and his muzzle is graying. It doesn't stand out that much because he is naturally a light color.


I really liked this picture. He was focusing on some noise behind me.

He loves food. If anyone is cooking or eating any food he's watching them.

A close up. Not even a camera in his face will distract him from the prospect of food.


Here's to more sunshine. Lets hope for better weather! I have some photos from the past month in reserve though. Thanks for all of your support. Every single comment is appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kate - Re bigger pics: When you insert the picture you can tell blogspot to use the biggest picture size and if you still want the pics bigger you've got to change the pixel number. I think I just googled 'bigger pictures in blogspot' or sth similar. Also very helpful is http://www.blogdoctor.me/. (Sorry, this is more an email, but I couldn't find an address) Sabine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cat looks so cosy on that fluffy throw. I love taking photos of my cat and capturing all her funny expressions. I have to be careful though, as she lovely the wrist strap on my camera so if it's dangling down, she will go crazy and try to capture it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these pictures are sweet. i never tire of taking pictures of my kitty, especially if shes sleeping in a wierd position.

    ReplyDelete